Portland, Oregon


Email Staff Writer Staff Writer on LinkedIn Staff Writer on Twitter Staff Writer on Facebook
Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Contributor •

How do I get my medical expenses paid as they are incurred?

Comments Off

In most auto accidents and in some premises injuries, no-fault insurance will come into play. A no-fault policy says it will pay when certain conditions are met, without regard to who is at fault for the injury.

In Oregon, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is part of the mandatory minimum auto insurance coverage. It pays the first $15,000.00 or first year of related and reasonable medical expenses, whichever happens first. PIP sometimes pays for a part of lost wages as well. For a disability which lasts 14 days, PIP will pay 70% of lost wages up to a maximum of $1,250.00 per month. PIP also pays certain other benefits like replacement services and funeral expenses.

In premises cases, a few property owners and occupiers will have a Medpay policy, which will pay the first $1,000.00 or $5,000.00 of related and reasonable medical expenses. Fewer and fewer policies have premises Medpay, but it’s always worth asking about in writing to be sure.